Monday, 22 February 2016

Sourdough using a Vigna mungo starter

If you've been reading this blog in the last few days, you've probably got bored to tears with all the unappetising pictures I've been posting. The good news is that the torture is over!

Today, the new sourdough starter I've been growing using Vigna mungo (or what I call the dosa starter) was put to the ultimate test.


I had kneaded the starter into a dough last night. (recipe here)

This morning was a bit disappointing. The dough had risen by less than 10%, although it sprang back quite satisfactorily when pressed with a finger. So I gave it 2 more hours before shaping it.

The shaping was very cursory, since I didn't want to destroy any baby air bubbles inside. After 3 hours, not much had changed.

I turned out the loaf and scored it before putting it into an oven preheated to 250ºC. A little container of boiling water went on the tray for moisture (thank you +rick van elswijk for that tip) and the loaf started rising.

After 10 minutes, I turned the heat down to 180ºC and baked it for 50 minutes.

Crust and crumb

The crust was awesome!!! Crunchy and crisp. I tried to attach a recording of the sound of it, but something seems to have gone wrong with blogger's upload or my format.

The insides were a bit disappointing in terms of texture. The huge air pockets were nice, but the overall texture was denser than I would have liked. I think greater levels of hydration might have helped.

The taste was great! The bread was on the sourer side, which is nice for a change.


The starter works! It has taken a mere 2.5 days from start to loaf. It will take a while before I know how the flavours develop.

I think the excessive sourness (for me anyway) came from either:
Using too much starter
Extending the proving time with a preferment.
Shall try it without the additional step next time.

Blame it on excitement, but I forgot to go through the rigours of testing temperatures, clocking precise timings, etc.

Tut tut.

No comments:

Post a Comment